Text Formatting Activities for the Computer Lab or Classroom
Text Formatting Activities
type the text, it should all be in lowercase to match the finished examples provided.
Ways to add challenge:
- Have students Highlight the text with the color instead of changing the font color.
- Have students add a line at the end that says what the shape is.
- Have students add a clip art image that represents the design.
- Have students type a reflection about how the activity went and what they might do
differently next time.
Ways to provide supports (make it easier):
- Provide students with a second sheet of paper or a flat edge like a ruler so that they
can be looking at one line at a time.
- Dictate the directions one line at a time to students.
- Demonstrate each line as you go using a projector or screensharing software.
select and use digital tools to plan and manage a design process that considers
design constraints and calculated risks.
understand the fundamental concepts of technology operations, demonstrate the ability to choose, use and troubleshoot current technologies and are able to transfer their knowledge to explore emerging technologies.
Designs in the Months Set:
Free Bulletin Board Letters
In my Free Resource Library in the INSPIRE section, there is a PDF with bulletin board header letters that spell out MYSTERY TEXT FORMATTING that you can use in your classroom. Click on the image above to go there.
Check out some other posts from the Typing category:
Why Do Elementary Students Need to Learn Computer Keyboarding?
Keyboarding skills are essential for success in both academic and professional settings. Elementary students may…
How to Manage a Typing Competition in the Computer Lab
In order to assist students in developing their keyboarding skills, elementary typing competitions are gaining…
How to Integrate Keyboarding Lessons into your Curriculum
As educators, it is important to recognize the importance of keyboarding skills and integrate them…
The Secret to Raising Tech-Savvy Students? Start with Keyboarding!
Computer Keyboarding has become a fundamental skill for students to have. It is an essential…
Keyboarding vs Handwriting: Which Should You Teach First in Elementary School?
Teaching keyboarding and handwriting skills in elementary schools has become increasingly important. However, the debate…
Our internet was down, so I put my students onto Microsoft Word, and did January text formatting with them. They absolutely loved it! We will be doing this monthly. This activity is also great for creating bulletin boards. Thank you!