Students are going to love creating their own Build a Classroom Digital Glyph and you’re going to love all of the technology skills work they are getting. Digital Glyphs work on so many great technology skills. While students may be familiar with paper and pencil glyph activities, it takes it to a whole new level to do it digitally.
In this Build a Classroom activity, students will be asked to work across slides in either Google Slides or PowerPoint, copy and paste between slides, resize pieces, layer pieces, group pieces, and save their finished work as an image file. All while completing an engaging get-to-know-you activity.
1. Take a look at the column headers for the glyph and decide if you want to change any of the text.
2. Plan how you want to share the file with your students. I’m providing the Google Slides file link (on page 4) but you can also use this as a PowerPoint file. Using Google Classroom makes it really easy, but any learning management system can be used to send the file to students.
3. Decide how you want students to practice copy and paste (keyboard shortcut or right-click menu) and go over slide 1 to review together.
4. Plan to show students how to save the final scene as an image file. Use whatever screenshot or screen clipping tool your devices have.
5. Decide whether or not you want students to do the writing extension about their scene at the end. Decide if you want to give students a requirement for the writing length or content.
•Navigating to the file
•Navigating between slides in a Google Slides or PowerPoint file
•Copy and paste pieces between slides
•Save finished scene as an image file
Strand: Innovative Designer
Standard: 4.b. select and use digital tools to plan and manage a design process that considers design constraints and calculated risks.
I Can Statements:
I can use keyboard shortcuts to copy and paste
I can resize, arrange, and layer pieces in a presentation program
I can create visual representations of the solution to a problem
I can stick with a problem until it is solved
I can use the materials around me to help me solve a problem
I can create an original work using a digital tool
Copyright © Brittany Washburn. Purchasing this file entitles you to ONE classroom use. You may use this with multiple classes but may not share with any other teachers. Copying for more than one teacher, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Clipart and elements found in this PDF are copyrighted and cannot be extracted and used outside of this file without permission or license. If multiple licenses are needed for use my more than one teacher or in more than one computer lab, additional licenses are discounted.
If you’re interested in connecting with other technology teachers, check out the Technology Teacher Talk Group on Facebook.
Connect with me on social media!